It was believed that an enforcement notice had been obtained, with police and bailiffs arriving early yesterday morning to clear the temporary structures on the grounds and evict the activists.
After a peaceful stand-off, many left the site — which is owned by property developers who plan to build posh flats and holiday homes.
However a group soon moved back onto the site amid claims that the paperwork was “not legal” as it was unsigned. They put up a notice to say that they had occupied the site and appealed for help from the public.
The group said they needed wood for fires to keep warm and asked people to deliver water.
Occupy Bournemouth activists originally moved there on December 13, setting up makeshift tents to give warmth, food and shelter for the town’s homeless over Christmas.
They said the project had been well supported with donations of food, clothing and other essentials from the public.
Around 30 rough sleepers were believed to have been staying in tents erected on the grounds.
Writing on the Occupy Sanctuary Facebook page, Mandy Bradbury confirmed that activists were back.
“Police have been on camp and it was definitely an illegal eviction … there are a couple of vans with security in the car park next door. They said they are ‘securing the site’ but are in the van.”